My third Rob Lowe related post in two days. I make no excuses. So here we arrive at The West Wing. My excuse for posting about this? ROB LOWE!
All-time favourite TV shows ever? The West Wing is up there. It might be at number one. It's certainly in the top 5. I love it so much, I walked down the aisle on my wedding day to The West Wing theme. What do I love about it? Where to start? I'm feeling a list coming on...
1) CJ Cregg. Alison Janney is just wonderful in this and I love that a woman is written so well. The root canal episode makes me cackle every time.
2) Aaron Sorkin. A god among men for some of the best lines ever written. He warmed up with The American President which is one of my favourite films.
3) Martin Sheen as President Bartlett. If only we could have a president as noble, as convincing, as trustworthy. I'd vote. Martin Sheen is an under-rated actor, I've always loved him. After all, he gave us Emilio and ummm, Charlie.
4) Josh's Secret Plan to Fight Inflation.
5) Josh Lyman. He's smart, he's funny, he's annoying and he makes Jimmy Smits president!
6) Toby Ziegler. "Leo, wouldn't this time be better spent plotting a war against a country that can't possibly defend itself against us?"
7) It had Mark Harmon in it. Just when it couldn't get any better, it did.
8) The kidnapping of Zoe Bartlett - the most exciting 10 minutes ever shown on television.
9) ROB LOWE! As Sam. Job done.
10) Rizzo is the Prez's wife. Job done.
I could go on and on. I don't have big Leo love but I know it's out there. Charlie was another great character. The storylines were brilliant - it was moving and funny all at the same time. To this day I want to go and work at the White House as I am convinced it must be exactly like that, right?
Here are the credits. I think it's time to dig the boxsets out and watch it all again...