Saturday 5 March 2011

River Phoenix


I've written before about some deaths hitting you right in the heart and I mentioned River then. The Keanu post earlier today got me thinking about him and I just watched the trailer for My Own Private Idaho. River was my generation's Heath Ledger. A talented actor who left us way too soon. He died 18 years ago. I have three favourite River films.

1) My Own Private Idaho. A very pretentious film and looking at the trailer, it is so very 90s. A time when Sky magazine (remember that?) was popular and The Face. It is, however, quite a good film and mainly because of River's performance. He is heartbreaking in this. And it has added Keanu goodness of course. This is the best scene:


2) Running on Empty. If you don't know this film, you really should. It's wonderful and it has this scene that introduced me to this seminal James Taylor song. I think of River whenever I hear this.


3) Stand By Me. Well, of course. Top 80s film. Top film of any time. Who doesn't love Stand By Me? It's heart-warming and this is coming from someone who finds it hard to find much heart-warming. I love the friendship between the boys and that final scene. I am welling up just thinking about it. That killer line which isn't even spoken: "I never had any friends later in life like I did when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?"


RIP River.

4 comments:

  1. Oh Stand By Me....he acted everyone else out of the cinema. Have you heard the song River by Natalie Merchant? I have to skip it on the CD if I am feeling a bit blah

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have to add Sneakers to end list of River films I love. Yes, it's silly but I still *heart* it

    ReplyDelete
  3. I haven't Diff - I shall Spotify.

    I've never seen Sneakers! Must rectify this.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes you must! Of course it has the added bouns of Robert Redford

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...