Wednesday 16 March 2011

Michael Jackson - Thriller


What happened to Michael Jackson was a tragedy. Not the fact he died, although that's sad, but his whole life. When I listen to Thriller (the album) I always get a bit melancholic. So controversies aside, let's focus on the music.

Thriller is my favourite album of all time. I always come back to it and I can happily listen to every track. I have fond memories of listening to the cassette of this on my walkman on a holiday in Aldeburgh when I was 10 and being told to take my headphones off and join in family fun. Yawn. Why would any sane person want to do that when you can listen to Billie Jean? Answer me that! I listened to this on repeat constantly for about a year. I know every word to every song, every move to every video (although perhaps not to actually dance to) and everything about it is perfect.

So track by track. Let's do it:

Wanna be startin' something - wonderful opening to the album, I love the last minute of this one.
Baby be mine - smooooooth
The girl is mine - awwwwww, Jacko and Macca. Love the banter. 'I'm a lover not a fighter!'
Thriller - best dancing in a video. EVER.
Beat it - Van Halen on guitar. Perfection.
Billie Jean - simply one of the best songs ever written and perfectly executed.
Human Nature - I love this, it makes me want to fly into Manhattan and cycle round Central Park. I don't know why. It makes no sense.
PYT - a great track to do aerobics to!
The Lady in My Life - ok, I could probably live without this one but it's still listenable.

I did that without referring to the album. Impressive eh? Told you I knew it! My second favourite album is Off The Wall. We'll save that for another day.

RIP Jacko, ya freak. I miss 80s you. Let's close with another great video.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...