Sunday 20 March 2011

Power Ballads - The Winner Takes It All, Abba


MrTeenager and I have a game where we nominate songs to kill yourself to. This is my number one choice (his is Goodbye to Love by The Carpenters). I should point out that we have no intention of killing ourselves.

This song makes me want to weep. It's so sad. It's another masterful Benny and Bjorn effort. I shall save a proper Abba appreciation post for another day. Suffice to say, they would feature heavily on my Desert Island Discs. In fact, I'd struggle to narrow down eight Abba songs alone.

Apart from the fact that these lyrics are infinitely tragic, it is made more heart-rending when you know they are writing about their lives. Oh, why couldn't they just stay paired up forever? They all look so good together! Agnetha's soulful voice is perfect for this. She really did have an amazing voice. Being the proud owner of Abba Singstar, let me tell you, these songs are impossible to sing along to. I'm a sucker for a bit of piano in a power ballad (November Rain for example) and well, this is a in short, an absolute classic of the power ballad genre. I'm not even going to talk about Meryl Streep's version of this in that odious film.

So a little Sunday morning, heartfelt appreciation for one of the best songs ever written. Thank you for the music Abba.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...