Sunday 20 February 2011

The Breakfast Club


The Breakfast Club was a film I didn't actually love back in the 80s. On reflection, what was I thinking? It's only one of the best 80s movies ever and a career highlight for John Hughes. Only Ferris Bueller is better and the reason I prefer Ferris is because it is more light hearted and fun.

However The Breakfast Club is completely awesome. Just watch the trailer and remind yourself how great this film is.

Reasons TBC rocks:
1) Judd Nelson. Bender is one of the greatest characters in any teen movie. "Does Barry Manilow know you raid his wardrobe?" Probably my favourite line in any film, ever.
2) The Simple Minds song. I don't like Simple Minds but who doesn't love 'Don't You Forget About Me?' So perfect for this film and for the moment they play it at the end.
3) The little dance scene. This clip is terrible quality but worth watching for Emilio alone.
4) Molly Ringwald. She was never better. Not even in Betsy's Wedding...
5) Ally Sheedy. I love how weird she is and how she decorates her drawing with snowflakes by shaking her dandruff on it. I wish she didn't have to be made over but hey, it was the 80s, that's what they did.

Any film that can hold your attention for an hour and half in a school library gets my vote. So here's to The Breakfast Club; its quotable lines and its angst. Often copied but never bettered.

2 comments:

  1. I'd forgotten how much I wanted to look like Molly Ringwald, her wardrobe (well, one outfit) is great!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...