Tuesday 4 January 2011

Whitney Houston


As I type this, I am listening to the seminal 'How Will I Know' by the legendary Whitney. A video that almost defines the 80s in its neon glory. This is a song I am almost always in the mood to listen to. How I loved Whitney's first album. I listened to it constantly. I just heard 'Saving All My Love For You' on the radio which inspired this Whitney retrospective and her voice is simply beautiful on that song.

I resent Whitney for all the copycat sub-standard female vocalists that followed her but really, it's not her fault. She had a wonderful voice and manages to make it sound effortless. If you've ever tried to sing along to Whitney on Singstar, you will know that it's actually impossible. I can barely keep up with her, let alone hit any note.

Whitney had it all. Talent, beauty, Dionne Warwick as an aunt and the mighty Aretha as her godmother. It was almost inevitable that she would derail badly. Marrying Bobbie Brown was not her greatest move. While looking for the picture above I Googled her and found a bunch of images that made me feel a little sad. WHY WHITNEY? Didn't you almost have it all?

It's vastly overplayed but I still love 'I Will Always Love You' and I am not ashamed to admit it. The Bodyguard is a great film by the way. Oh yes. Perfect Sunday afternoon fodder under a blanket.

Whitney's glory days are behind her. Her voice isn't what it was and after doing all those drugs, it's hard to imagine how it could be. But I get so emotional just thinking about Whitters and her hugging her aunt in 'The Greatest Love of All'. Oh to have that one moment in time...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...