Sunday 9 January 2011

The joys of Bonnie



Try and imagine our world without Bonnie Tyler. If you can quite easily, I suggest you stop reading now.

For the sensible ones left, I think we can all agree, the world would indeed be a poorer place. Bonnie burst into our lives with Total Eclipse Of The Heart. This might actually be my number one desert island song. It's so epic and wonderfully over the top. I don't know anyone who doesn't secretly harbour an affection for it.

It's best sung along to when drunk with a bunch of girlfriends and table to thump. But I have been known to reenact the video after a few too many Chardonnays. I love it.

But we also need to give attention to her other classic, Holding Out For A Hero. While not quite in the class of TEOTH, it's still worthy of many a listen, mainly because of these lyrics:

Where's the street-wise Hercules
To fight the rising odds?
Isn't there a white knight upon a fiery steed?

It makes me chuckle every time. Nobody did a video like our Bonnie. TEOTH has her with dancing boys with literal bright eyes and wearing what look like nappies. HOFAH has her in a white dress on the edge of the Grand Canyon. What a legend she is and how I adore her and her husky voiced, big haired, all-round 80s-ness.

Long live Bonnie. Here is a clip of Cate Blanchett singing along to her, as I think we've all been known to do, in an otherwise forgettable film, Bandits.

4 comments:

  1. Wasn't HOFAH the theme tune to an 80's tv show?

    ReplyDelete
  2. This in fact!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2SRXhWlgkfs

    ReplyDelete
  3. We were so upset when the male lead shot himself

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...