Monday 13 June 2011

Burt Bacharach


Nobody writes a song like Mr Bacharach. Surely if he was English he'd be Sir Bacharach. Legend of the melody, one of my favourite songwriters and he's called Burt. The man has it all. Except a decent singing voice, bless him. But that's ok because he chose some amazing singers instead; Dionne and Aretha. Blissful.

I saw Burt live at the Royal Albert Hall years ago. Probably at least 12 years ago if not longer. And it was magical. He sang a few songs (hence my knowledge that he can't really sing) and he wheeled on singers to do others. It was one of the best concerts I've ever been to as this man knows how to tell an anecdote. You felt like it was just you and him at the bar. Sadly, I had to share the experience with thousands of others.

So, my favourite Bacharach songs are:

I Say A Little Prayer - it's impossible to imagine anyone but Aretha singing this. If you've ever tried to sing this, you'll know how hard it is and how effortless she makes it.

Walk on By - so very sad. I am sniffling just thinking about it.

Arthur's Theme - I love this song. Between the moon and New York City, I know it's crazy...

They Long to be (Close to You) - I always forget Burt wrote this masterpiece.

Do You Know The Way To San Jose? - it's actually easy to get to San Jose, even I managed it. But a wonderful song.

I'll Never Fall In Love Again - a bit too whimsical for me but I still like it.

The songs I don't like are the ones Cilla Black does. I don't know why anyone told that woman she can sing. She ruins Alfie.

My top Burt song is The Look Of Love because the sublime Dusty sings it. It's perfection in a song and I adore it. Check her out! She looks amazing.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...