Monday 30 May 2011

Muriel's Wedding


Back in the 90s Australian cinema exploded with Strictly Ballroom, Priscilla, Queen of the Desert and this, my personal favourite, Muriel's Wedding. Bill Hunter was in all three and he died this week so let's just take a moment to remember Bill. I was going to do a tribute post but after Jeff's yesterday, I felt we'd mourned enough.

We'll miss you Bill.

So, Muriel's Wedding. A film that starts off on familiar territory and you feel like you're in typical rom com world and then it suddenly u-turns and the best friend is in a wheelchair? The first time I saw this, I was flummoxed. It's truly a great movie; touching, funny and I've never been so happy for any characters when Muriel and Rhonda get the hell out of Porpoise Spit.

Muriel's parents are almost painful to watch. Her poor mum taking the shoes in the supermarket as her feet are so sore. The dad constantly running into the woman he is sleeping with and humiliating his family. It's sad and yet real. For a while back in the 90s it felt like only Australians could do real emotion in film. Great performances from everyone in this too.

I love all the music and when she walks down the aisle to I Do, I Do, I Do, I Do, it makes me giggle every time. This is my favourite moment, when she realises that there are people she can be friends with and who will mime to Abba with her. I'd be friends with Muriel, wouldn't you?

1 comment:

  1. Be friends with her? I blooming well am her! I wish I could watch the 'walking down the aisle' for the first time again cos it was my favourite moment of the film. As you say, it is easy to just see this as a comedy and forget the painful scenes. My mum and I have spent a year now saying "You're terrible Muriel" when we've done something sneaky or naughty!!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...