Wednesday 5 October 2011

Sleepless in Seattle


You may have noticed I've been absent recently. I've been working very hard delivering a project at work and even working weekends. WEEKENDS. Weekends are for watching rom coms, not taking 3am calls. I kid you not. I am feeling frazzled and a little delicate and I feel what I need is an afternoon of watching feel-good comfort films and this is top of my list.

I adore this film. Made when Meg Ryan was still sweet and likeable, with Tom Hanks at his absolute best and with a fabulous soundtrack, this film is the very definition of comfort viewing. It's designed to watch while snuggling under a blanket with cashmere socks on and a pot of tea at one's side.

Reasons I love this film:

1) Meg Ryan's hair. Seriously. Her hair rocks this film.
2) Rosie O'Donnell as the best friend. She gets some great lines: "You don't want to be in love, you want to be in love in a movie!"
3) All the allergies poor Walter has, it's very cleverly done.
4) The whole subtext of An Affair to Remember
5) The rush to get up the Empire State Building - *sob*
6) The lovely retro soundtrack
7) The two kids. Now I don't like most American kids in movies but these two are really good and very funny.
8) It has Niles from Frasier in it
9) Rita Wilson describing An Affair to Remember and crying as she does it.
10) The line about tiramisu.

This film was made in 1993 yet it feels so delightfully old fashioned. At the risk of sounding ancient, they simply don't make old fashioned rom coms anymore. Now they have stupid toilet jokes and tacky sex scenes in them (see Bridesmaids) and so my little old-fashioned, tea drinking, cashmere-sock wearing side is grateful for this gem.

Take it away Rita...

1 comment:

  1. I loved loved loved Tom Hanks and Meg Ryan together. I'm totally with you on the demise of the rom com. They're not in the same class these days. I watched You've Got Mail the other day. Cosy.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...