Saturday 29 October 2011

Elton John


Like any sane human being, I cringe when I see Elton John these days. He's such a twerp with his hair implants, adopting a kid at 60 something (sorry but I think it's irresponsible) and his terrible dress sense.

But wind back the years and it's a different story altogether because Sir Elton gave us some gems back in the day. So let's take a stroll down memory lane together.

I have little time for Your Song but I do love Goodbye Yellow Brick Road. This is such a beautiful song and check out his glasses!


My favourite Elton song is Tiny Dancer, surely everyone loves this song? It's wonderful.


The 70s really were his decade. The hits just keep on coming. I adore Rocket Man.


I have a soft spot for Bennie and the Jets. This is a great song and I defend it to anyone. The best scene in 27 Dresses (yes, I watched it, ok?) was when they sang along to this.


Now then, after all that wondrousness, we hit a period of Elton I don't like. I can't stand Pinball Wizard. I loathe Don't Go Breaking My Heart and Sorry Seems To Be The Hardest Word was ruined by Blue forever. However, I do like Are You Ready For Love.


Into the 80s. It's a mixed bag, I'm not going to lie. One of my favourite songs ever is I Guess That's Why They Call It The Blues. I love singing along to it.


And I'm Still Standing just sums up the 80s to me, I can't help but like this.


Nikita and Sacrifice? Urgh - awful. What was he thinking? Into the 90s and I cannot stand The Lion King songs either, mind you, I hate that film too. It's so sappy.

I had all but given up hope but then he released There's Something About The Way You Look Tonight and it's an average song I know but I like it. 


To one of the best videos ever made. This Train Don't Stop There Anymore. This is a fab song and Justin Timberlake is so good in it. I think this is Elton's most under-rated song.


In the same vein, I Want Love is also a fantastic video. Oh Robert Downey Jr, how you break my heart.


Not a bad hit rate really. It's easy to scoff at Elton however he is a genius songwriter and he has a very versatile voice, I think he has one of the best natural talents we're ever seen. I still can't forgive him for Candle In The Wind though. 

2 comments:

  1. Picking all my favourites AGAIN. I Guess That's Why They Call It The Blues is simply amazing. Another of my favourites is The One.

    But OH. Goodbye Yellow Brick Road is my favourite - I always tend to go for minor keys and wistful lyrics. Speaking of lyrics -Bernie Taupin...GENIUS.

    Best present I ever bought anyone - Elton tickets for my dad. Thought he would take me. I get a phonecall from him 'Ali, can you drop me and mum to that EJ concert next week'. Harrumph.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh now I don't like The One very much, I think he's done that so much better in other songs.

    I would like to see him live because he still sounds great but I'd have to leave the room for many of the songs - I have such a love/hate relationship with his music!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...