Sunday 16 December 2012

Bee Gees - desert island songs


It's the year we lost Robin Gibb and I am still sad about it. What better way to pay tribute to him than my desert island Bee Gees songs? This is very tough. So much to choose from, however, I don't choose the easy path so here goes. Before I start, these are songs sung by the band, not songs they wrote for others. It makes it slightly easier.

Massachusetts. I don't know why but this song makes me feel very emotional.



Tragedy. One of the most overblown songs ever recorded so of course, I love it. It's hard to write a song with lyrics based round the word tragedy but our boys make it seem easy.



Stayin' Alive. This is one of the best songs ever recorded. There will never be a better introduction to a song. It makes you want to get up and dance. I adore it. Also, top video.



You Should Be Dancing. Honestly, did any band define an era like Bee Gees? Another work of pure genius. The combination of this with Travolta's dancing makes me happy on the inside.

 

Nights on Broadway. I include this for a few reasons. Obviously it's a great song. It has a fabulous title. And check out Robin's outfit here.



You Win Again. Oh I adore this. It makes me feel very nostalgic for simpler times. Bless them and the ponytails. They really did know how to write a hit song.

 

Night Fever. It would be rude not to include it. It's not as amazing as Stayin' Alive but it's still wonderful in all respects.



Already I am at number eight and I have to include How Deep Is Your Love. This is my all-time favourite love song. I just think it is gorgeous and it's my favourite Bee Gees number. It's so romantic and soft and lovely.

 

Oh god, no More Than A Woman, no Jive Talking, no If I Can't Have You, no Spirits Have Flown, No Words,  no New York Mining Disaster. 

I can only apologise and say, see if you can do it. Go on. RIP Robin. 

2 comments:

  1. I can't decide on the order but:

    You Win Again - it came on the radio as I was driving home from work the other day and it made me SO HAPPY.

    Nights on Broadway
    New York Mining Disaster
    I've Gotta Get A Message To You
    Massachusetts
    For Whom The Bell Tolls
    Stayin' Alive
    Jive Talkin'

    Oh it's so difficult! I've left out To Love Somebody...Alone...Night Fever. You Win Again is my all time favourite though...dancing with Mr Aston at the school disco.

    Yes, RIP Robin. You really are missed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Diffbird, you rock my world. Even if you do like Les Miserables.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...