Sunday 8 July 2012

Paul Simon, Graceland


I'd forgotten how much I like this album until I heard You Can Call Me Al on the radio yesterday. I consider Paul Simon a musical genius and this really was (and is) a fabulous album. It's been 26 years since it was released and it still sounds fresh as a daisy today. I was compelled to buy it on iTunes (damn me giving all my CDs away without burning them all) and I am having a very happy time listening to it again.

My favourite song is Diamonds On The Soles Of Her Shoes. It gives me goosebumps as it's so good. I absolutely love the opening singing and then the introduction of the instruments. It's simply wonderful. I can't imagine anyone not loving this song, it's so happy. 

I also adore You Can Call Me Al, it has the best lyrics. Any song that can have the line, "there were incidents and accidents, there were hints and allegations" sung as fast as Simon sings them has my vote. It's famous for its video which I've also just watched again. It's much funnier than I remember. I've never liked Chevvy Chase (apart from the fact he's called Chevvy) but he does a great job in this. Although Paul Simon's expression is what makes me laugh.



Every song is excellent and has it's triggered a Simon & Garfunkel revival at Teen Towers. Expect a post about them soon. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...