Friday 6 July 2012

Nora Ephron


A post in which we remember the genius of Nora and I have nothing else to say other than I am sad that she's no longer with us because this dialogue is wonderful. RIP Nora.


Sally: The first date back is always the toughest, Harry.
Harry: You only had one date. How do you know it's not going to get worse?
Sally: How much worse can it get than finishing dinner, having him reach over, pull a hair out of my head and start flossing with it at the table?
Harry: We're talking dream date compared to my horror.


Jess: Emily is terrific.
Harry: Yeah. But of course when I asked where she was when Kennedy was shot she said, "Ted Kennedy was shot?"
Jess: No.


Sally: Well, if you must know, it was because he was very jealous, and I had these days of the week underpants.
Harry: Ehhhh. I'm sorry. I need the judges ruling on this. "Days of the weeks underpants"?
Sally: Yes. They had the days of the week on them, and I thought they were sort of funny. And then one day Sheldon says to me, "You never wear Sunday." It was all suspicious. Where was Sunday? Where had I left Sunday? And I told him, and he didn't believe me.
Harry: What?
Sally: They don't make Sunday.
Harry: Why not?
Sally: Because of God.


Harry: Please, Jess, Marie. Do me a favor, for your own good, put your name in your books right now before they get mixed up and you won't know whose is whose. 'Cause someday, believe it or not, you'll go 15 rounds over who's gonna get this coffee table. This stupid, wagon wheel, Roy Rogers, garage sale COFFEE TABLE.
Jess: I thought you liked it?
Harry: I was being nice.


Harry: And was it worth it? The sacrifice for a friend you don't even keep in touch with?
Sally: Harry, you might not believe this, but I never considered not sleeping with you a sacrifice.


Harry: You take someone to the airport, its clearly the beginning of the relationship. That's why I have never taken anyone to the airport at the beginning of a relationship.
Sally: Why?
Harry: Because eventually things move on and you don't take someone to the airport and I never wanted anyone to say to me, How come you never take me to the airport anymore?
Sally: Its amazing. You look like a normal person but actually you are the angel of death.


Sally: But I'd like the pie heated and I don't want the ice cream on top, I want it on the side, and I'd like strawberry instead of vanilla if you have it, if not then no ice cream just whipped cream but only if it's real; if it's out of the can then nothing.
Waitress: Not even the pie?
Sally: No, I want the pie, but then not heated.

Marie: Restaurants are to people in the 80's what theatres were to people in the 60's. I read it in a magazine.


Annie: Now that was when people KNEW how to be in love. They knew it! Time, distance... nothing could separate them because they knew. It was right. It was real. It was...
Becky: A movie! That's your problem! You don't want to be in love. You want to be in love in a movie.


Sam: Didn't you see Fatal Attraction?
Jonah: You wouldn't let me!
Sam: Well I saw it and it scared the shit out of me! It scared the shit out of every man in America!









No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...