Wednesday 20 July 2011

The Eagles


I actually can't think of a less 'teenage' band than The Eagles but I don't care. Sometimes a girl needs some American classic rock love. The Eagles are one of my favourite bands and it always surprises people how much I love them. I can see why since I am quite vocal in my love for Barry Manilow, Neil Diamond, Barbra Streisand, Take That and 80s pop. The Eagles seem like a strange band to throw in the mix but if you like well-crafted songs (and I do) then The Eagles are your band.

My thoughts turned to them tonight as I am off to Palm Springs in November (for work) and a colleague  suggested we do Vegas the weekend before. I don't need any encouragement to go to Vegas but then I found out The Eagles were playing the very same weekend. Is it fate?! I think it might be.

10 reasons I love The Eagles:

1. Take It Easy. The American road trip song.
2. Winslow, Arizona. Yes, we drove two hours out of our way so we could stand on a corner there. It's so cool, look:


3. Tribute band, The Alter Eagles. A friend plays in this band - they are actually really good and if you aren't lucky enough to be going to Vegas to see them, I can recommend.

4. Desperado - after Take It Easy, my favourite Eagles song.

5. One Of These Nights - one of the best intros to a song. Like ever.

6. Their epic falling out and fighting. I love a band that fights and bickers like small children. It's so rock and roll.

7. Don Henley - he gave us Boys of Summer and In A New York Minute.

8. Glenn Frey. He did the theme song for Thelma and Louise.

9. Tequila Sunrise - a great song and a great cocktail.

10. The sleeve notes to The Eagles Greatest Hits (bought on a corner in Winslow, Arizona), written by Glenn and Don. Totally brilliant and educational.

Desperado, why don't you come to your senses... it makes me want to go and ride fences in the wild west. Even though I can't ride and there are no shops there.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...