Monday 19 September 2011

Roxy Music - Avalon


Roxy Music is a bit of a funny band for me. I am not a huge Bryan Ferry fan (mostly cos he's an arse) but boy, did they do some great songs. I was reminded of this minor masterpiece while listening to a Desert Island Disc archive on my ipod one evening. It was at the end of a particularly trying day and I was being thoroughly entertained by Kathleen Turner. She was explaining how she met her husband (he was selling her a flat) and he picked her up in his car and this was playing on the radio as they drove through the streets of Manhattan. No wonder she married him, I'd have married him!

Kathleen Turner is a hoot by the way. When Michael Douglas was dating Catherine Zeta-Jones there were rumours that they might remake Romancing The Stone so she went out for dinner with him and said "If you do that, she'd better play your daughter!" She said he didn't find it very amusing as she guffawed. What a woman. I can't recommend the Desert Island Disc archive enough - you can download over 500 DIDs and every single one I've listened to has been fascinating. I am tagging this as Living Legends - that's for Kathleen, not Bryan, ok?

This is a beautiful song and very fitting for a Monday night, nice and relaxing and just lovely. Enjoy.

1 comment:

  1. How funny! I was listening to Desert Island Discs on Sunday, Martin Clunes was on and he also picked Avalon. I was thinking then that I hadn't heard it for ages and what a great song it is. Naturally it was on the classic Open Top Cars and Girls in T-shirts tape!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...