Tuesday 12 January 2016

RIP 2015 - I forgot someone

Back in January, Anne Kirkbride died. Otherwise known as Deirdre Barlow in Coronation Street. I forgot about her when doing my round up because to try and remember who died in any given year, I use Google. And it gives me all the Hollywood deaths but tends to overlook the home grown soap stars.


Coronation Street is the program that I have watched the most consistently in my life. I grew up with it, my mum watched and therefore so did I. I stopped watching in the mid 90s for a while but I came back to it about 10 years ago and I am so glad I did. I record it and tend to start my weekend with breakfast and a Corrie catch up. It's got some of the best writing in television, I frequently guffaw with laughter at the lines. The acting is brilliant and it can be very touching. I love that it keeps the old school characters like Rita, Ken, Emily (although she's just gone to Peru for six months - come back soon Emily!) and until she died, Deirdre.

Deirdre was always a favourite. I post this picture to prove she was beautiful. Look at her! Anne was a wonderful actress and I loved all the storylines involving her. When she died, I was quite upset because she'd been in my living room for 40 years.

And then, just when we thought 2015 was all wrapped up Lemmy died. Now, I don't claim to be a Motorhead fan. I know the same song everyone does, Ace of Spades. Lemmy is a legend. He's cool and funny. I live with a massive Motorhead fan. He live streamed the funeral from LA and stayed up to watch it. He declared January to be the month when we only listen to Motorhead (pity me readers). He's in deep mourning. Bye bye Lemmy, thanks for the rock and roll.



As if this wasn't all too traumatic enough, yesterday Bowie died. That's a subject for another post but I think we can safely say we're not just listening to Motorhead in January now.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...