Sunday 15 February 2015

The Vampire Diaries


Have we not all had enough vampires in our lives? I thought Twilight was the nail in the coffin for vampires so to speak but no, they continue to capture our imagination. I have started watching this show as I need something to watch on my commute and I've finished Gilmore Girls.

This show is the very definition of a bad TV show we love. It's pretty awful yet I find myself compelled. It owes a tremendous amount to Charmed, a show I had a soft spot for because Aaron Spelling was behind it and it had that guy from Home & Away who married Danni Minogue playing the devil himself.

The Vampire Diaries is a show about Elena (intensely annoying and she appears to be unable to tie her hair back ever) who falls in love with Stefan who is a vampire. Stefan is boring. His brother Damon isn't and is played by a guy who looks like Rob Lowe's little brother. Damon is evil, he kills people for fun but it's only because he is tortured missing his love Katherine from over 150 years ago. Elena looks exactly like Katherine. We can all see where this is going and I am only half way through season one.

Jasmine Guy was in this playing a grandma. Now, I may be one of the few people around who instantly recognised her name in the credits. Jasmine played Whitley Gilbert in A Different World, the Cosby Show spin-off with Lisa Bonet. Now she is playing a grandma who is a witch. I don't think I've ever felt so old. I don't think I'm spoiling much to say she's just died in the show. I quite liked her too.

This is trash of the highest order. I can't believe Kevin Williamson (he of Dawson's Creek) is behind it. Obviously I shall continue to watch it.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...